Sponsored by SETP and the Experimental Aircraft Association
The Spirit of Flight Award was established by the Society of Experimental Test Pilots and Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) in 1996 to recognize an EAA member(s) who has made a significant contribution to the spirit, technology, manufacture, safety and flight test of home-built/sport/classic aircraft.
EAA will solicit its chapter presidents and other knowledgeable members of its association annually for nomination of the EAA member(s) who best exemplify the spirit of research, development, safety and flight test of home-built/sport/classic aircraft. The EAA provides names and background data on 1-5 nominations, along with a recommended ranking, to SETP, in time for the June Board of Directors meeting. This timing allows selection and notification of the recipient(s) in time for the annual EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh, WI. The Spirit of Flight Award will be presented in an appropriate venue during AirVenture.
During the June SETP Board of Directors meeting, the Board will discuss and vote on EAA's recommendations, with a simple majority required for approval of the recommendation. The President of SETP will notify the EAA Headquarters, at the earliest opportunity, of the Board's recommendation. This will provide ample time for preparation of the award to be presented at the EAA Convention in late July or early August.
1. Nominations will be solicited by the Experimental Aircraft Association.
2. Nominations may be submitted by any EAA Chapter or individual member.
3. The nomination must be presented not later than the June SETP Board of Directors Meeting. This timing allows selection and notification of the recipient in time for the EAA annual EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh, WI.
4. Nominations must be submitted in writing.
5. Selection requires a majority vote of the Board of Directors.
6. Nominations may be submitted by:
7. The nomination must contain pertinent and compelling information concerning the candidate's contributions to sport aviation and the EAA.