To Apply: Stratolaunch
Stratolaunch is developing an air-launch platform to contribute to high-speed research and development. The goal of Stratolaunch is to use the air-launch platform for enabling technologies that may not exist otherwise. Stratolaunch has the potential for creating technology development opportunities for commercial, philanthropic, and governmental organizations to collect rich and actionable data and drive advancements in science, research, and technology.
As the Senior Test Lead, you will accept a critical role in achieving new milestones in aviation, and enable development of the Stratolaunch Carrier Aircraft, the world’s largest-wingspan aircraft, and other high-speed test vehicles.
You will provide effective leadership in three arenas; as the focal point for high-speed vehicle test planning, as the primary Test Director / Test Conductor for the mission control team during test events, and as the overall mission control room manager.
You should possess considerable experience in conducting disciplined, effective developmental flight test, or similar experience in a technically demanding environment.
As a key leader on the Stratolaunch team, you will have an essential role in meeting our ambitious company objectives. You must establish and maintain effective relationships with colleagues on a small, agile design-to-flight team.
You will be challenged with bringing unique and complex aircraft from initial airworthiness to operational use, at a company that believes in giving our team members the authority and responsibility to succeed.
- Lead the mission control room team as Test Director / Test Conductor during flight test of experimental carrier and high-speed test aircraft
- Responsible for safe and effective conduct of ground and flight test missions, and engineering support from the mission control room
- Develop depth of engineering and system knowledge to enable rapid decision-making and task prioritization
- Conduct flight readiness reviews prior to test plan execution
- Coordinate range, airspace and support resources in support of flight test missions
- Develop and manage test strategy and objectives, test plans and mission cards for ground and in-flight testing. Identify test hazards and develop mitigation actions.
- Coordinate closely with vehicle engineering team to define test and data requirements, and identify system safety or operational concerns
- Manage and communicate test-specific vehicle limitations and flight readiness review actions
- Coordinate on-vehicle test requirements with overall manufacturing and program schedules
- Oversee training and readiness of mission control room discipline engineers and support functions
- Direct mission control room equipment, configuration and software requirement decisions. Coordinate mobile range requirements with external agencies. Integrate test aircraft data and range requirements to meet future test objectives.
- Travel, as needed, to support mission planning, launch approval meetings, and other tasks for the Director
- Demonstrate integrity, accountability and initiative to fulfill commitments
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Previous experience as a Test Director / Test Conductor for developmental flight test or related aerospace test operations
- Technical aerospace leadership or experience, including supervision and training in a technical environment
- Ability to analyze and prioritize tasks on their own initiative, and drive projects to completion, to fit within overall business goals
- Ability to lead a small team, make decisions, and quickly adapt to changing priorities
- Previous experience with new, experimental, or modified aircraft, launch vehicles or spacecraft, technical and safety review boards, and configuration control methods
- Knowledge of risk management or safety management systems
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Be able to work irregular hours and work days, and travel periodically
- United States citizenship
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, or similar technical foundation
- Flight Test Engineer graduate of a recognized test pilot school long course
- Previous experience as a Flight Test Engineer or control room engineer on an active test program
- Experience with launch vehicle, air-launch, or high-speed flight programs
- Possess or be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
- Experience with government flight test organizations, ranges, and procedures
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from accredited institution and 10 years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
Required computer skills:
- MS Office
- Configuration management tools
- Engineering software tools such as IADS
- Travel estimated to be approximately 5%
- This position is located in Mojave, CA
To Apply: Stratolaunch