Hawthorne, CA, United States
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SPACE OPERATIONS ENGINEER
Are you passionate about human spaceflight? Do you enjoy complex technical systems and thrive in situations others might find stressful? Can you mentally decompose complicated operations methodically into constituent steps? If you are a collaborative engineer excited to contribute to the future of human spaceflight, the Space Operations Engineering role could be the challenge you've been looking for.
The SpaceX Space Operations Team is revolutionizing spaceflight operations for our current and future missions: cargo and crew Dragon, private astronaut flights, and interplanetary exploration. The team is responsible for all facets of the safe and efficient delivery of astronauts and cargo in space. To support that goal, the Operations Development team conducts the mission planning, sustaining engineering, operational product development and introduction of new operations on each mission. As a space operations engineer, you will be responsible for developing the detailed concept of operations and resulting products the ground controllers and flight crew will need to execute the mission.
As a member of the team, you will learn how to fly the Dragon spacecraft from SpaceX's Mission Control Center. In turn, you will use your skills and firsthand experience to develop future operations plans and products the flight controllers will use for current and future missions.
Helping to lead spacecraft operations requires mental dexterity, rigorous technical understanding of the spacecraft’s systems, and a deep understanding of contingency scenarios. Your contributions will help SpaceX successfully execute cargo and human spaceflight missions, and to achieve our goal of making life interplanetary.
The Space Operations team is looking for operators with experience in several specialty areas including orbit mechanics, crew operations, communication systems and general system knowledge.
- Develop mission plans, operational procedures, and other real-time products for future Dragon missions in coordination with SpaceX Responsible Engineers
- Support Dragon mission preparations
- Support operations coordination with technical and programmatic contacts at SpaceX and NASA
- Participate in operations training, with the goal of taking a lead operational role in Dragon missions
- Develop, champion, and lead special projects to advance the state of SpaceX operations
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering or science discipline
- 3+ years of experience in engineering test, integration, or flight operations for complex systems
- Real time operations experience on a complex system that has high consequences in the event of failure (such as pilot, flight test engineer, spacecraft operator, high performance automotive, etc.)
- 1+ years of experience leading teams and/or projects (informal project management experience or university club technical management qualifies)
- Experience programming (e.g. Matlab, Python, Java, C++, etc.)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in an engineering or science discipline
- Technical knowledge of spacecraft systems and operations (e.g. communications, orbital mechanics, avionics, propulsion, thermal control, life support systems)
- Knowledge of basic orbital mechanics
- Strong written and verbal communication of technical information
- Previous experience in a customer-facing role working through design requirements, test acceptance, and verification (a bonus for working with a government customer such as NASA)
- Previous experience working with interdisciplinary teams to solve complex problems
- Self-motivated with proven leadership skills
- Able to effectively manage numerous projects and tasks at a time, while meeting aggressive deadlines
- Thrives under pressure and is resilient in the face of technical challenges
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Insatiable hunger for continuous improvement and innovation
- Flexibility required including long hours and weekend work when necessary to support operations and critical project timelines
- Position is subject to pre-employment drug and random drug and alcohol testing
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
To apply: Space Operations Engineer
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.