Flight Test Safety Officer (Part time positions available)
Mitsubishi Aircraft Corporation (MITAC) is currently developing the MRJ-90 aircraft at the Moses Lake Flight Test Center in Washington State. This is a first of type activity for the company. The undertaking of such a task brings with it significant challenges, such as ensuring an effective and well-constructed Safety Management System (SMS) is established to support flight test operations. The program is now at the position where the safety team requires expansion and additional skills sets to ensure the ongoing safe conduct of testing and support activities. Your role in the organization has you directly reporting to upper management positions to ensure a clear path of communications. As this is a flight test focused role you;
- Have generated and approved multiple flight test risk or hazard assessments in a wide cross section of flight test tasks.
- Have been involved in the development of a wide range of flight test plans and the application of risk mitigations for these activities.
- Have a strong understanding of aircraft systems and the processes and support elements required to complete certification testing.
- Possess a wide exposure to Safety Management Systems, focused on the aviation environment, and specifically flight test.
- Have previously demonstrated the ability to lead teams through challenging safety related situations.
- Can generate clear and concise documentation to be used within the Safety Management System.
- Have enough experience to train team members on SMS documentation in order to grow the safety culture within the program.
- Can communicate clearly and articulate without ambiguity in written and verbal forms.
- Are an experienced communicator who can manage messages up the reporting chain as well as down into working level teams.
- Have the ability to identify areas of improvement in safety processes and can develop plans to enact the changes.
- Will be able to lead the team to effective root cause analyses of events and incidents that may occur during ground or flight operations.
- Have experience in the co-ordination of program level activities to ensure ongoing education and standardization of safety practices.
- Can effectively chair a Safety Review Board
Knowledge & Skills
- Expert knowledge in the technical field of aviation safety and accident prevention and experience in use of DOD, FAA, NTSB, or lCAO documentation is required.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office
- Very detail oriented and able to work independently or in groups.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Ability to remain calm and be the voice of reason in stressful situations.
- Ability to be persistent in the face of difficult problems or challenges.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in the English language are critical with the ability to pay close attention to details.
- Able to change directions with the needs of the work environment and take-on additional responsibilities based on operational needs.
Experience & Education
- BS/BEng degree from an accredited College or University in an aviation/engineering related field or equivalent related work experience. Post graduate Safety System Training would be an advantage.
- Five (5) or more years’ experience as an Aviation Safety Officer/Manager.
- Experience dealing with safety and environmental laws, rules, and regulations is required.
- Extensive experience in risk management and mitigation.
- Experience in working with multi-cultural environment is desired
- Graduation from a recognized Flight Test School is highly desired