Supernal is at the forefront of creating emerging mobility solutions that will foster the development of human-centered cities. We are designing a completely new electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft tailored to the mobility needs of future cities. This allows passengers a seamless intermodal journey that safely transports them to their final destination. We fuse research in autonomy, robotics, aviation and services to define a new category of mobility for the world’s communities. We believe in creative thinking and collaboration to help build a better mobility experience for everyone, improving people’s ability to move – whether for work or play.
What we do:
The Chief Test Pilot will support the design, development, and certification of the aircraft and ground control station. The role will work closely with other Test Pilots and Flight Test Engineers, as well as systems engineers and the certification group to validate and verify aircraft design. The position is a key contributor to the flight test risk management process. The role will provide guidance to our test certification planning, identifies applicable industry standards, and prepare the team to conduct testing that demonstrates compliance. This position will interact directly with the ER&D team on the aircraft design and will support simplified vehicle operations (SVO) as well as concepts of remote supervision of multiple aircraft.
What you can do:
- Establish test pilot department and staff
- Oversee test pilot training and ensuring proficiency of staff
- Provides test pilot expertise to assigned programs; R&D efforts to ensure man-machine interface issues and requirements are identified for new aircraft designs
- Perform initial flights on prototypes for new clean sheet air vehicles
- Plan, develop, and perform flight tests on Supernal aircraft to verify air worthiness and performance capabilities
- Partner closely with the Manager of Flight Test and the Chief Safety Officer to ensure that the test team is conducting safe and effective ground and flight test operations
- Collaborates with FAA test pilots as well as other CAA crews
- Responsible for developing standards and protocols, and ensures lessons learned are communicated with appropriate teams
- Provides direction to engineers on design definition, simulator flights, test planning, test card writing, flight test techniques, test conduct test reporting, and proposal preparation
- Responsible for process associated with developing and managing the test vehicle pilot handbook
- Other duties as assigned
What you can contribute:
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering related field
- A minimum of 15 years flight test experience as a test pilot with increasing levels of responsibility (an equivalent combination of education, certification, and experience may be considered)
- Graduate of an SETP recognized Test Pilot School, or equivalent experience
- FAA Commercial Pilot or ATP certificate (Fixed or Rotary Wing)
- Instructor pilot certificate and experience
- Capable of acquiring the required level of FAA medical certificate
- Both Fixed Wing and Rotary Wing pilot certificates
- Minimum 2500 Flight Hours
- Experience conducting test on programs pursuing FAA/TCCA/EASA Certification
- Experience in Type Certification programs for fixed/rotary-wing aircraft.
- Highly developed understanding of civil certification requirements from initial development to Entry into Service activities.
- DER and/or ODA experience (or equivalent from other NAA)
- Experience related to developing manuals for aircraft certification
- Human-to-vehicle interface design, test and evaluation experience
You may also be able to contribute:
- Master’s degree
- Flight test experience in autonomous aircraft and electric propulsion
- Experience conducting a first flight of a new type or heavily modified aircraft
This position may include access to certain technology and/or software source code, that will be subject to U.S. export control laws. If an export license or other export control authorization is required in connection with your employment, your employment is contingent upon Supernal’s receipt of such license or authorization and approvals and your continued compliance with all conditions and limitations contained in such license or authorization.
**If you’re interested, please apply on our careers page, or follow the link below!!**