Senior Project Pilot - Leonardo DRS
Leonardo DRS is a leading supplier of integrated products, services, and support to military forces, intelligence agencies, and prime contractors worldwide. Focused on defense technology, we develop, manufacture, and support a broad range of systems for mission critical and military sustainment requirements, as well as homeland security.
Headquartered in Arlington, VA, the Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo S.p.A. which employs more than 70,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture which rewards performance. For additional information on Leonardo DRS, please visit our website at www.leonardodrs.com.
Job Location: Washington, D.C. Area
Job Title: Senior Project Pilot
Leonardo DRS is seeking an exceptionally qualified and proven Experimental Test Pilot to fill the position of Senior Project Pilot to join our recognized team of experts to provide a solution for the U.S. Air Force’s APT T-X program. Leonardo DRS ties together an exceptional T-100 Integrated Training Systems Team (ITS) comprised of Leonardo Aircraft’s world class aircraft powered by Honeywell engines integrated with state-of the-art ground-based training from CAE USA. The T-100 Air Vehicle is purpose-built for a wide range of training capabilities, long-term reliability, and cost effective operations. These characteristics – along with its proven integrated training system comprised of Simulators and Ground Based Training devices – make the T-100 ITS the best solution to train today’s next generation of fighter pilots. For additional information on the T-100 ITS program, please visit our T-X Program website.
The Senior Project Pilot position provides leadership to the test pilot team in the development and demonstration of the T-100 aircraft and the interfaces to the Ground Based Training System. The Project Pilot works with the IPT team member, making contributions to all IPTs and ensuring that all ground and flight tasks and operations can be conducted in a safe and effective manner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides test pilot skills in all areas of Development Test and Evaluation (DT&E).
- Integrates with the customer to form an effective Combined Test Force.
- Develops and sets standards for test execution, techniques, and reporting criteria.
- Participates in the development of and testing of man-machine-interface concepts, formats, and crew station operational sequences.
- Supports Engineering by providing pilot evaluation on the severity of failure modes and the adequacy of system information in the evaluation of abnormal events.
- Reviews and analyzes all flight test activities to determine the adequacy of the test progression to insure logical sequencing and safe increments in each test discipline.
- Defines the training requirements and qualifications of subordinate experimental and engineering test pilots and production test pilots in accordance with all customer and regulatory requirements
- Approves all cockpit implementations for efficiency in flight operations for all normal and abnormal flight regimes.
- Accountable for making the T-100 Air Vehicle capabilities available for delivery to customer.
- Supports, communicates, reinforces and defends the mission, values and culture of the organization
- Graduate of accredited Test Pilot School.
- Bachelor degree required; BS in engineering or natural science highly desired.
- Master Degree preferred in engineering or natural science or business administration highly desired.
- Minimum of 10 years’ flight test experience in DT&E roles in tactical jets or tactical jet trainers.
- Experience as an industry Experimental Test Pilot highly desired.
- Experience as an advanced jet instructor pilot highly desired.
- Experience in high AoA, FQ&P, structural envelope expansion highly desired.
- Demonstrated leadership ability in flight test environment.
- Demonstrated ability to explain flight test/simulator events to engineers in engineering terms.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to author and present effective presentations to various audiences.
- Exhibit broad experience with Air Vehicle flight characteristics, design, development, integration and test programs.
- Proven track record of working with international partners and suppliers to develop and deliver training solutions.
- Strong interpersonal skills in order to lead, collaborate and work effectively with all levels of internal and external leadership as part of an international team.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally.
- Must possess a current active Secret Clearance or above.
Leonardo DRS, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates are equal opportunity employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.