Flight Test Facility Manager - MIT Lincoln Laboratory
Flight Test Facility Manager
Lincoln Laboratory operates the Flight Test Facility to provide airborne platforms in support of diverse research and development programs. Multiple aircraft are flown, maintained, and managed by a professional staff of pilots, certified maintenance technicians, and administrative personnel. All flight operations are conducted using procedures and equipment that meet or exceed all Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requirements, and safety of flight is a top priority.
The Flight Test Facility Manager will report to the Assistant Director of Operations and responsibilities include a wide range of operational and administrative duties, including but not limited to:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and management direction to flight, maintenance and engineering personnel to ensure optimal performance and professional competence.
- Establish and maintain an active aviation safety program.
- Ensure that high levels of customer service are provided to technical staff and sponsors.
- Establish relationships with, and represent Flight Test Facility to external test organizations
- Responsible for organizing, staffing, and resourcing the Flight Test Facility to meet R&D project requirements
- Responsible for development of, and compliance with, the Flight Test Operations Manual
- Evaluates and conduct performance reviews with direct reports including the Chief Test Pilot (CTP), Operations Head, maintenance head and Business manager
- Establish and maintain FTF safety program to ensure compliance with all ground and flight safety requirements
- Maintain currency as FTF CAT C test pilot
- Ensure all FTF training and qualification programs are established and managed
- Designate all pilot qualifications
- Provide an environment that encourages personal development and opportunity for career growth.
- Foster a working environment that provides staff members with ever increasing levels of responsibility and project ownership, and supports such activities through strong mentoring and guidance.
- Lead change as required to ensure high quality FTF procedures are established and operations are maintained.
- Prepare annual operating budgets that include operating expenses, facilities, supplies, outside services, personnel, training, capital expenses and reserves.
- Advise management and technical staff on the capabilities and requirements for aircraft and other equipment in support of the Laboratory technical needs and goals.
- Schedule and establish criteria for annual technical audits of the aircraft and maintenance operations.
- Prepare near-term and long-range plans that align Laboratory and Flight Test Facility.
- Bachelor’s Degree in aviation management engineering, science, physics or related field
- 5 years developmental /experimental test pilot experience
- Flight test organization management experience
- Graduate of SETP recognized TPS Fixed Wing syllabus
- FAA Commercial pilot license with minimum of 2000 hrs. in wide range of aircraft types including high performance jet aircraft
- 10 years flight test experience
- 3000 hrs. pilot time in single and multi-piloted aircraft
- U.S. Military fixed-wing pilot
- Experience with FAA experimental airworthiness DEA and DAA certifications
- FAA commercial single/multi-engine instrument ratings and CFI qualifications
- Member of SETP
- Masters Degree in technical field
- UAS Experience
In order to be considered for this role, all interested candidates should apply via the following link: