Chief Test Pilot (CIS) - AeroVironment
Chief Test Pilot (CIS)
Simi Valley, CA
Based in California, AeroVironment (AVAV) is a global leader in unmanned aircraft systems, tactical missile systems and electric vehicle charging and test systems. Founded in 1971 by celebrated physicist and engineer, Dr. Paul MacCready, we’ve been at the leading edge of technical innovation for more than 40 years. Be a part of the team that developed the world’s most widely used military drones, pioneered today’s advanced EV charging technologies, created the first submarine-launched reconnaissance drone and has seven innovative vehicles that are part of the Smithsonian Institution’s permanent collection in Washington, DC. Join us today in developing the next generation of solutions from small UAS and tactical missile systems to tomorrow’s electric vehicle charging and test systems that will deliver more actionable intelligence to our customers so they can proceed with certainty – and succeed.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
The Large UAS (LUAS) Chief Test Pilot plans and conducts flight test activities.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Be the initial instructor pilot and perform as a flight test pilot during Development Flight Test (DT) and Operational Utility Assessment (OUA) flights.
- Develop plans and policies, monitors operations, and advises the LUAS program management on all matters pertaining to flight test.
- Write nominal and emergency test procedures.
- Conduct flight tests to evaluate structural integrity, performance, handling characteristics, reliability, and suitability of aircraft and systems.
- Identify design and operational deficiencies and recommend improvements.
- Prepare technical flight test reports and recommendations for design improvements.
- Provide subject matter expertise in human system interface issues.
- Lead development of operators’ manual and pilot training and certification program.
- Supervise all assigned pilots and serves as Instructor Pilot for the ground and flight school.
Required Qualifications & Background
- Minimum of 5 years fixed-wing Developmental Test & Evaluation (DT&E) envelope expansion experience.
- Must have completed a formal Test Pilot School, Experimental Test Pilot Course.
- Must have recent flight test/operational experience, preferably with large Unmanned Aircraft Systems.
- Must have recent flight test/operational Crew Resource Management (CRM) experience.
- Must have Commercial Instrument rating.
- Currency in manned aircraft a plus.
- FAA experience a plus, such as Experimental Airworthiness Certification, Part 25 Certification, Flight Test Pilot Designated Engineering Representative (DER) credentials.
This position requires you have access to data and technology that is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Applicants cannot be hired until they are qualified to have such access.
What We Do
Building on a history of technological innovation, AV designs, develops, produces, and supports an advanced portfolio of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) and efficient electric energy systems. Agencies of the U.S. Department of Defense and allied military services use the company’s hand-launched UAS to provide situational awareness to tactical operating units through real-time, airborne reconnaissance, surveillance, and target acquisition. Commercial and governmental entities use AV’s clean transportation solutions such as electric vehicle test systems and electric vehicle fast charge systems, as well as its clean energy solutions. More information about AV is available at www.avinc.com.
How To Apply For Employment
Prior to submitting your response, we encourage you to review our company web site, to learn more about us.
Our URL is: http://www.avinc.com. Principals only need apply. NO agencies need respond.
AeroVironment Incorporated is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V and works in compliance with both federal and state laws. We are committed to the concept regarding Equal Employment opportunity.
Qualified candidates will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, marital status, medical condition nor disability, genetics, veteran and all others that may apply.
Job Posting SIMI Chief Test Pilot – 17-260 111717