27th East Coast Symposium
Sponsored by: Avian Engineering, The Boeing Company and Calspan Corporation
The Society of Experimental Test Pilots is pleased to announce the 27th East Coast Symposium, to be held on 15 April 2011 at Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Maryland. The symposium is being held in conjunction with the USNTPS Reunion. This year’s event chairman is CDR John O’Connor, USN (M). The symposium is being sponsored by Avian Engineering, Boeing and Calspan.
FRIDAY, 15 APRIL – MORNING TECHNICAL SESSION: The morning session will be held in the auditorium of the U. S. Naval Test Pilot School, 22783 Cedar Point Rd., Patuxent River, MD 20670. Registration and continental breakfast will begin at 7:30am. The symposium will begin at 8:00am. The registration fee is $35 for SETP Members and $45 for Non-Members and includes the luncheon and reception. The dress for this event is business casual or flight suit. PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU ARE AN INTERNATIONAL (NON US CITIZEN) ATTENDEE PLEASE CONTACT CDR O’CONNOR AT 1-301-757-5044 TO ARRANGE ACCESS ONTO BASE.
FRIDAY, 15 APRIL - LUNCHEON: The luncheon will be held from 11:45am to 1:15pm at the Naval Air Station’s River’s Edge Conference Center. The keynote speaker will be Douglas A Benjamin, Chief Pilot, Military Transport, Tanker, Airlift, Airborne Battle Management for Boeing Test & Evaluation. The cost for the luncheon is included in the registration fee. Please be sure to select your menu choice on the registration form. For those not registered for the symposium, the cost of the luncheon is $20.00.
FRIDAY, 15 APRIL – AFTERNOON TECHNICAL SESSION: The afternoon session will begin at 1:15pm at the River’s Edge Conference Center.
The following papers are scheduled to be presented at the symposium:
- Road to First Flight: Lessons Learned during Developmental Test of the X-47B (Mike Rabens, Northrop Grumman Corporation, LCDR Kevin Watkins, USN, VX-23 Matt Funk, NAVAIR)
- F/A-18C/D Station 4 LITENING Pod Loads Envelope Expansion - Lessons Learned (Michael J. Harris, Major Nicole A. Mann, USMC, Meredith Almoney, US Navy)
- E-2D Advanced Hawkeye Carrier Suitability and Structural Demonstration (LT. Paul Meyer, USN (M), Mr. Les Ryan, Northrop Grumman (AF)
- DARPA: A Flight Test Update (CDR Matt Rising, Maj. Matt Domsalla)
- MH-47G Engine Exhaust Suppressor Flight Test (Brian Thompson, Dr. Preston Martin)
- Risk Management During AT-6 Semi-Prepared Runway Operations (Dan "Shaka" Hinson)
- Undergraduate Evaluation of the Be-76 Duchess Airplane (Midshipmen representing the USNA Class of 2011)
FRIDAY, 15 APRIL - COCKTAIL RECEPTION: Following the symposium, a cocktail reception sponsored by the USNTPS Alumni Association, will be held at the River’s Edge Conference Center. The SETP Leroy Grumman Award for the most outstanding paper presented at the symposium will be presented at the reception. This event is included in the registration fee. For those not registered for the symposium, tickets can be purchased for $10.00 per person. Dress for this occasion will be informal.